As many of you will know, I have three sourdough starters,Spelt, Rye and Wholemeal. I bake Rye weekly for sale in Oats, that keeps the quantity under control as I feed it just before I bake. The others are not used as much, the demand varies and often I end up with a lot of starter.
It would be awful to waste it all, so I try and use up as much as I can. I make crackers, muffins and bread for myself (of course) and I'm always on the look-out for new ideas.
Anyway, I found a crumpet recipe online and tried it, to be honest it was awful, so I set to tweaking it (after all I had plenty of raw materials)
And here it is:
300g starter, separate it before refreshing, it doesn't have to be fresh and bubbling, mine was a mixture of Spelt and Wholemeal. It should be at about 100% hydration.
15g Sugar, I used Organic Granulated,
3g Bicarbonate of Soda.
Heat a large, heavy based pan and get some oil ready to grease the crumpet rings
Mix everything in a large bowl, it will foam up when you add the Bicarb, which you should do last.
Oil the rings and put them in the dry pan, the oil will run off as it heats and help cook the base.
Spoon a small amount of mixture into each greased ring.
Cook for around 5 minutes until the edges start to set and shrink back, then remove the ring. Set it aside to cool then re-oil for the next batch.
Lift the crumpets and flip, cook the other side for about a minute.
Eat them hot or toast them later.