You might recall, I made these festive teacakes at least 5 times, in an effort to get them right before I took them round as samples.
I got an order from Millie and proceeded to make 30.
Unfortunately, I reckoned without the mincemeat problem.
In my samples I used a certain type of mincemeat, but to make 30, I had to buy a bigger container of the same type. And because I was hoping for repeat orders, I brought several tubs! I thought that it would be the same stuff but it was twice as runny. Hence the whole thing turned into a disaster, the dough was too wet and the teacakes never really recovered. Fortunately the taste was still good, so the customer took them, and reported good sales and repeat purchases, but to me it just didn't feel right.
I hoped to get a second order, so that I could prove to Millie and to ME that I could do what I had done in the samples, and I did get the chance.
This time I strained the mincemeat through a sieve for 24 hours (don't laugh) to get rid of the excess moisture, upped the yeast and cut down on the water.
And here they are, I think they are better, the taste is the same, now we will see what Millie thinks, just as long as she doesn't want the misshapes back.
Stop Press; Millie and Me has just won another award, its good to be a part of a successful business. Check it out here.